Tuesday, 24 May 2016
Today has been a good day in many ways. A few weeks ago I bought some cheap oversized scarves from Primark, I wanted to see if I could turn them into a kimono cover up. So I started with this
And ended up with this. I folded the scarf in half so the top had a folded edge. measured down the measurement I wanted the sleeves to be then added half an inch. Took out my rotary cutter and cut off 6 inches widthwise and rest of length. Leaving me with a t shape. I french seamed the cut edges together. Then cut up front center on one layer only, and removed a triangular shape at the top for the neck. Rolled the edge over twice and sewed it down. It's very floaty and will be ideal for the summer when I want to wear vest tops but not flash my arms about. I might make it shorter to, I am not sure if it reminds me to much of a dressing gown at the moment. Will leave it up on model and see how I feel tomorrow.
I did learn the reason Primark sell these so cheaply. They aren't cut/printed straight so very difficult to line up. So I don't think I did a bad job all things considered.
I do not like not being able to do things. Very often I set my mind to do something and I will carry on until I get there. In this case I have always been evaded by shirring. All those little girls dresses, skirts and tops I could have made if I could do it. I have watched many a youtube video and read many books etc. but alas no joy has been had. That is until today :o) I shall probably now be found madly muttering as I wind 100's (maybe a slight exaggeration) of bobbins with shirring elastic by hand. I proudly present my first ever shirring that ever worked to you.
Now I will do a shirred skirt I think first. Will be ideal for the summer months. But for now a Supernatural Episode on DVD and a spot of knitting.
For now take care and stay crafty