Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Jelly roll play time

I love looking at the Jelly Rolls when I am in fabric shops.  For those who don't know, they are 2.5 inch strips of fabric that usually have different shades or a little assortment of a fabric collection that are then stacked up and rolled into a little bundle giving it a swirly Jelly or Swiss roll kind of appearance. I didn't take a photo before undoing mine to play with.  These little bundles of colours or designs are always appealing to me.  Very popular with quilters particularly I believe. When I was last in the fabric shop (longer ago than most people who know me will believe!) I purchased 2 different packs of Jelly Rolls.  Wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with them at the time but I couldn't resist. 

Yesterday I was out and about with my daughter and Gary and inspiration struck. I knew I wanted to make a new quilt but wanted something a little bit different.  When I got home and found some time to get to play I selected 3 strips from a jelly roll and created this.

I know the points don't all match up but I still like it.  And it was so easy to make.

I took 3 strips which were 2.5 inches by the width of fabric or 3 strips from a jelly roll. I sewed 3 together along the length and pressed them with the seams to one side , usually this is towards the darker side. Then with an equilateral triangle template or ruler I cut off the excess at on end and cut out a triangle.  Then flipping the top point to the bottom so the triangle looks like a V I aligned it with the just cut edge and carried on cutting out triangles like this until I couldn't cut anymore.  My triangle was a little small for this but I just carried on cutting in the same line with my rotary cutter after I finished along the side of the triangle.  If I didn't have this ruler I would of made a cardboard triangle and would of drawn my lines in chalk or air erasable pen and cut out with scissors instead



This gave me  4 of one design and 5 of the other, So I had a few left over and will probably randomly make up a few hexagons after I have done the main ones


I alternated the triangles and sewed them together in 3's until I had half hexagons


Here's what the back looks like after pressing. Exciting stuff right??


Then sewed the 2 halves into a whole hexagon.
Fairly quick and easy to do I thought. And not bad without a pattern or idea to work from.


I really need a new ironing board cover.  I managed to slice a few bits of the cover with my rotary  cutter because I was using a small self healing mat instead of a bigger one. 

Since I made this I started sewing on a project I cut the fabric out for last night.  A 40s style blouse.  Pattern from Gretchen Hirsch book Gertie Sews Vintage Casual. I am making it in a large gingham check in navy and white fabric. I was going to make a sleeveless version but decided to do the pattern as is first of all. I added 3 inches to the front and back before I decided this so it is already not as suggested.  
It is coming along nicely so far.  I have had a few ripping moments with my good friend the stitch ripper.  But that came down to not reading the instructions properly or not checking the right sides were together when sewing etc. I am pretty impressed with the little cuffs on the short sleeves that came out so well.  Looking forward to finishing this one and wearing it in the summer. Hopefully one more session and it should be done.  Will keep you all updated and hopefully some photos of progress soon 

For now take care and stay crafty
Jules x 

No comments:

Post a Comment