Sunday, 17 July 2016

bread and butter banana pudding

Bananas drive me mad at the moment.  I seem to only be able to find green ones or ones that are getting brown and spotty and mushy.  Don't get me wrong I like very ripe bananas, but now and again I don't want to be eating hard unripe or mushy bananas. Everyone seems to try and ignore the last banana to. When we did our weekly shop on Friday I picked up a nearly out of date sliced loaf knowing we had a few very ripe bananas at home.  Today I made use of both things for the men in the house. 

Started with cutting the crusts off 8 slices of bread and buttering them cutting in half i triangles and laying half of them in the bottom of this pie tin, I artistically cut up ( hacked) a banana and a half into rough slices and layered over the bread and butter with a small handful of chocolate chips.  Sprinkled over cinnamon and then a small handful of demerara sugar. I layered over the rest of the bread and butter and sprinkled a few more chocolate chips, more cinnamon, a thin coating of sugar and a grating of nutmeg. 

I them mixed together 350 mls of milk ( we had semi skimmed to hand) a teaspoon of vanilla extract and 3 medium eggs. Pouredd the milk and egg mixture around the edges of the bread and squished the bread down a bit and left the bread to absorb the eggy milk for about an hour before putting it in the oven at gas mark 4 for about 30-40 minutes. 




The top goes crunchy, to be honest I found the banana to be a bit to bananary but I only had a spoonful so not to sure if that was just my spoonful.  The rest of it was eaten by the men who were quiet eating it and made good comments afterwards.  Now to find something to do with the rest of the bread! 


No comments:

Post a Comment