Tuesday, 4 October 2016

Back in the swing of things



Hello October, the cooler evenings have reminded me of something I always go through at this time of the year.  Difficulties in finding a nice coat that is within my price range, is smart enough to wear anywhere but doesn't make me feel overdressed, as I am a very casually dressed person usually, and a coat that is not to long or to short nor one I will overheat in.  Don't really have much luck in finding a coat to fit these criteria strangely!  Then inspiration suddenly struck! I could make one! I found this simplicity 1067 pattern and went from there.  Easy-to-sew apparently.  We shall see!

I have decided on the one the model is wearing view A with a shawl collar and patch pockets and a simple fasting.  I did consider a tie belt, but it just then looked like a dressing gown to me in the illustrations.  Strange mind I have right?




I went for a wool blend fabric, it's a little darker than it is showing here. It's not to heavy.  Also this is an unlined garment so decided on a blend so it wouldn't feel itchy next to the skin


Fastenings wise, a lot of umming and ahhhing went on.  I am still not 100% sure on this hook and eye decorative fastening. I may decide to go with a big decorative button yet. Will try this one first after the coat is made up and see how I like it. We shall see.  Hopefully can get this made up and any adjustments done in time for need a coat season.





Had to pop out today to get interfacing.  Was mildly amused when shop assistant said it seemed hard making a coat. Seemed to me a great way of putting people off sewing not encouraging them. She then asked was it hard? Pointed out I had no idea as I had never made any coats before. I would go back and let her know. Had taken along an off cut of coat fabric and the pattern envelope, which is why it looks a bit crumpled. Wasn't until I had gotten home I realised I had made the jacket of doom, so as long as it isn't as eventful as the JOD it should be easy.  Will find out on Thursday when I get on with it all.  So far all is cut out, pieces that need interfacing are interfaced. Sewing machine has had a clean. All I have left to do is wind a few bobbins and get out the serger. Can't wait to start.

Take care
Jules xx



















No comments:

Post a Comment