Sunday, 30 October 2016

Hand sewing on a whim.


I generally have not a lot of patience for hand sewing.  With one thing or another and my hands not always behaving I never really liked sewing by hand.  So I was left with some pressing, top stitching and hand sewing my hem on the coat I am making, and ground to a halt because I didn't want to do the final hem.  I could machine sew it yes, but wanted to do it properly. So it's been sat for over a week at the stage where I could probably spend another hour on it before the hemming by hand . 

Then today we had to go do a bit of shopping and I declared I wanted to do a quick fast small sewing project this afternoon.  Then I saw this  brooch or key ring kit on the front of a magazine The craft network sewing magazine. So on a whim I grabbed it and had to make the dog brooch, even though it was a hand sewn project.  Looks cute doesn't it?


Flash made this look brighter than it actually is, But I think you can get the effect from this photo.  I think I was almost as proud of my bow tying skills as I was the sewing. 

I've not bought one of these magazines before, Got to say I was impressed with the content of this one. Lots of ideas for recycled denim jeans.  Quite a few ways to turn an ikea blanket into something different.  Dress up ideas for children and lots more.  I will be trying out the free pattern with the magazine soon to I think.  



And although I am only wearing a big old t shirt that looks a lot worse for wear in this picture, I had to put it on to take a selfie angle shot. I think after all is said and done I no longer hate hand sewing and will no longer back off of doing projects because there is bits of hand sewing needed in them.  At the end of the day it's not perfect, but it makes me happy looking at this brooch and I think he will end up on my coat lapel.  He does need a name though. Any ideas?

For now I am going to sign off and start getting ideas ready for tomorrow.  It's Halloween and I am so excited

Take care 
Jules xx

No comments:

Post a Comment